Nowadays with everything depending upon electronic appliances, large storage capacity for saving data is a must. Here comes the role-play of external storage devices. Among many such storage options, microchips such as TF cards and SD cards are in high demand due to their compatibility, portability, and high storage capacity.
What are TF cards?
TF card expands for Trans Flash card. TF card was the original name of what we know as a micro-SD (secure digital) card and was launched in 2004. This card was developed with the joint efforts of Motorola and SANDISK. By the end of 2004, it was given the design of SD structure and after improvising and updating it, the name was changed to a microSD card (2 GB) by SD Association Official.
It is a quarter the size of an SD card (11x15x1mm). In other words, the TF card is the smallest version of the memory card.
Suitable for a number of multimedia applications, it is compatible with any SD card reader and can also be placed directly into a computer/cell phone SD memory card slot after getting attached with an SD card adapter. These cards can be used for various purposes mainly to store digital format data or to expand the storage memory in appliances and in various types of devices like androids, cameras, computers, and others.
Trans Flashcards are functionally identical to Micro SDHC cards and can be operated in the devices made for the either.
How do you use a TF card?
Two essentials to be able to use TF card are:
- Your device must support a TF/micro-SD card.
- The TF/micro-SD card you have got should be of the right size to fit in the device.
With that achieved you just have to turn off the device, slide it in the card slot and let it reboot. Now just follow through the steps to set it up. The extended storage is ready for use!
Uses of TF cards
Due to their tiny size and high capacity these are very commonly used:
- In portable music players
- In dash cams and flying drones
- To expand storage in mobile phones.
- To store data like pictures, MP3s, MP4s, etc., digitally.
- To share music files from one gadget to another.
- In flash memory disks.
Distinguish between TF card and SD card
Most of the time, a TF card is confused with an SD card as they both are not only the products of the SD Association with mainly the same aim i.e., expanding gadget storage and transferring multimedia files but also are very compatible with each other.
So, given are some differences to help us distinguish between a TF card and an SD card:
- SD card is based on semiconductor flash memory whereas TF card on the latest NAND MLC technology.
- Volume of SD card (24mm x 32mm x 2.1mm) is much more than that of TF card (15mm x 11mm x 1mm).
- TF card lacks the protection section switch feature of SD card.
- TF card can be converted to SD card by using plug adapter (adapter), but vice-versa is not possible.
- TF cards are used mostly in androids, portable music players or some flash memory disks, while the SD cards are used for heavy duty storage like a camera, personal digital assistants (PDA) and multimedia players.
Now that we have discussed TF card, its uses, and how it differs from an SD card it is suggested that choose your storage option on the basis of your “need”. Instead of preferring the one with higher storage capacity or cheaper options chooses wisely, according to your daily requirements.
Also Read: What does chronological order mean