ODIN is a Windows-based flashing tool that was developed mainly for installing the custom recovery in particular TWRP custom recovery though there are many other custom recovery software such as CWM available. Installing a custom recovery will allow many features which are otherwise difficult to use. So, let’s discuss everything about installing the TWRP custom recovery by using ODIN software.
What is TWRP Custom Recovery?
TWRP expands to Team Win Recovery Project. It is an open-source (available in both official and unofficial versions) custom recovery image that allow a touch screen enabled interface in Android devices to install third-party. This feature is very helpful for customizing the Android devices. Through TWRP custom recovery, following activities are possible:
- For downloading Custom ROMs
- For booting Root or unroot in the Android devices
- To save a full backup the Android devices
- To restore backup from both internal storage or external storage (like SD cards)
- To remove system apps or to delete user data
- For getting Terminal Access
- For ADB root shell
Pre-Requisite for Installing TWRP Custom Recovery
- ODIN flashing files for the setup.
- TWRP Recovery file as compatible to the device.
Note: Download the TWRP custom recovery file with .tar extension only to install it using ODIN software
- USB Cable.
- Battery level greater than 40%.
Steps for Installing TWRP Custom Recovery through ODIN
Firstly, to download the ODIN software follow these steps:
- Download the ODIN 3.13.1 [Latest] Setup file.
- Unzipping the ODIN .zip file and extract the ODIN flashing tool.
- Find the ODIN .exe file from the folder it is located on the PC.
- Right click the ODIN.exe file and click as Run as Administrator.
Note: Only download the ODIN flash able TWRP recovery .tar file which goes along with the device version of with the android by simply first surfing through net and then later downloading it or through the site sammobile.com.
If possible, enable OEM unlock before proceeding:
- Tap on ‘Settings’.
- Scroll to ‘About Phone’ option.
- Tap ‘About Phone’ option.
- Locate the ‘Build Number’ of the Android. It must be inside the tab titled ‘Version’.
- Tap the ‘Build Number’ seven times.
- This turns ON the ‘Developer Options’ for the phone.
- Now, tap on ‘Settings’ again.
- Scroll to Developer options.
- Locate ‘OEM unlock’ under ‘Developer options’ drop-down list
- Enable ‘OEM unlock’.
Now, to boot the device into the Download mode follow as directed below:
- Turn off the Power of the android.
- Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume down” buttons together until the warning message appear on the screen.
- Press Volume up key.
The device is now in download mode.
To install TWRP in the device, follow:
- Connect the android with the PC through the USB port cable.
- As soon as The ODIN software on the computer will detect the device it will show a pop-up as “Added!!”.
- Unmark Auto Reboot and Re-partition located in options tab.
Note: Don’t change any other option given on the ODIN window. This might disturb the needed settings of the device.
- Select AP tab.
- Choose the TWRP recovery .tar file that you had downloaded earlier.
Note: For older versions AP was replaced by PDA.
- Hit the Start button on begin installing. The process to install TWRP starts. Let it finish.
- Once it’s done a message on the ODIN screen to give a Done or an Error message. Retry if an Error message appears. Click finish if it’s done.
- Let the device reboot automatically after ODIN has finished flashing.
- Disconnect the mobile from the PC.
To verify that TWRP is now installed in the device successfully or not, follow:
- Turn off the Power of the android.
- Press and hold “Home + Power + Volume down” buttons together until a Samsung logo appears.
The android will automatically boot into TWRP custom recovery mode.
The above method is for a particular android brand (like Samsung) only. These won’t work with other devices. Now that you have installed the TWRP custom recovery without any error enjoy the features provided by this software seamlessly.
Also Read: How To Unlock Kul Tiran In World Of WarCraft